[Nagiosplug-help] [ check_nrpe plugin error => (No output returned from plugin)] He lp needed

Shobhan Challa shchalla at GoRemote.com
Tue Dec 21 04:47:05 CET 2004

Hi Nagios users,

I have a small problem, wasn't able to figure out where am I going wrong.

I have Nagios daemon/plugins on 'Linux1' machine and the NRPE daemon is
running on 'Linux2' box.

The /etc/nrpe.cfg on the  Linux2 is defined as:

       server_port=5666
       allowed_hosts=192.168.100.168
       nrpe_user=nagios
       nrpe_group=nagios
       dont_blame_nrpe=1

       # DEBUGGING OPTION
       # This option determines whether or not debugging messages are
   logged to the
       # syslog facility.
       # Values: 0=debugging off, 1=debugging on
       debug=0

       # COMMAND TIMEOUT
       # This specifies the maximum number of seconds that the NRPE
   daemon will
       # allow plugins to finish executing before killing them off.
       command_timeout=60
       command[check_disk]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w
   $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$

The services.cfg and checkcommands.cfg on "Linux1" are defined as below:

        # Generic service definition template

   define service{
           name                            generic-service ; The 'name'
   of this service template, referenced in other service definitions
           active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service
   checks are enabled
           passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service
   checks are enabled/accepted
           parallelize_check               1       ; Active service
   checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major
   performance problems)
           obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess
   over this service (if necessary)
           check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT
   check service 'freshness'
           notifications_enabled           1       ; Service
   notifications are enabled
           event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event
   handler is enabled
           flap_detection_enabled          0       ; Flap detection is
   enabled
           process_perf_data               1       ; Process
   performance data
           retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
   information across program restarts
           retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
   information across program restarts

           register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
   DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
           }

   ################################## Service definition for jagadeesh
   system ####################################################
   define service{
           use                             generic-service         ;
   Name of service template to use
           host_name                         Linux2
           service_description             check
           check_period                     24x7
           max_check_attempts          15
           normal_check_interval       5
           retry_check_interval          1
           check_command                check_nrpe!check_disk
           contact_groups                  linux-admins
           notification_interval           120
           notification_period             24x7
           notification_options            c,r
           }

The following is defined in checkcommands.cfg:

   define command{
            command_name    check_nrpe
            command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -a $ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$
           }

Now the problem:
--------------------
When Nagios is started, I see the following message in /var/log/messages:

               Dec 21 14:30:27 tinderbox nagios: SERVICE ALERT:
Linux2;check;UNKNOWN;SOFT;7;(No output returned from plugin)

I get correct output when I execute the commands from the command line,
from Nagios host:

1) ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.100.125 -c check_disk -a 70 70 /dev/hda7
2)  ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.100.125 (outputs: NRPE v2.0)

The check_nrpe plugin works fine If I define the following line
(hardcode) into checkcommands.cfg

       define command{
           command_name    check_nrpe
           command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H
192.168.100.125 -c check_disk -a 80% 80% /dev/hda9
       }

Can anyone tell me what mistake I'm doing. Why is it not working without
any hardcoding.

Thanks for your time in advance
Shobhan