[Nagiosplug-help] RE: [RE: [ check_nrpe plugin error => (No output returned from plugin)] Help needed ]

Lawrence, Lynne LLawrence at osc.uscg.mil
Wed Dec 22 08:01:08 CET 2004

If what you are trying to accomplish with the check_ssh check is whether
sshd is running on host Linux2-0, you don't need to run it through nrpe.
Nrpe is only used to run checks on the monitored system - disk and user
checks have to be run on the monitored system.

Ssh, on the other hand, is a network service that can be monitored remotely
from your management station (the system running Nagios) using check_ssh.
Typically, the service definition would define the check command as:

	check_command 	check_ssh

and have the command defined something like the following:

	define command {
		command_name	check_ssh
		command_line	$USER1$/check_ssh %HOSTADDRESS%
	}

> 2) How do I make Nagios to check the services every 5 minutes
> of every 15
> minutes. Currently the services are checked every 1 hour (looking at
> /var/log/messages).

Your service checks look like they are set up to run every 5 minutes
(assuming the interval_length in nagios.cfg is set to 60 - you might want to
check that out).  Are you sure that the checks are not running?  On my
system, I don't get log messages each time a service check runs.  What does
your web interface tell you?