[Nagiosplug-help] Device OID search

Pete Shelfo PShelfo at embrex.com
Fri Jan 16 06:13:04 CET 2004

What is the best way to identify what OID represents the correct item you
wish to monitor when walking an SNMP tree?

For example:  If I wish to monitor power supplies on a Cisco router I can go
to Cisco's web site and open up all the .my entries and hope that I can
translate their shortened descriptions.  If I walk the snmp tree on a Cisco
device it shoots out tons of OID's but no description.  I am looking for an
easy way to see what can be monitored on each device with a description and
then find the OID reference to that value.

Do I need a MIB compiler?  I already use the MibDepot web site but that only
helps up to a point.  How does everyone else handle this task?