[Nagiosplug-help] check_rpc giving a wierd error I can't find anywhere

M3 Freak m3freak at rogers.com
Tue Jul 20 18:13:32 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the "check_rpc" plugin to check the status of NFS
running on a server.  I've read the documentation for the plugin and
tested it in a terminal, like so:

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rpc -H localhost -C nfs
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rpc -H localhost -C nfs -p 2049
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rpc -H localhost -C nfs -p 2049 -u
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rpc -H localhost -C nfs -p 2049 -t

No matter how I run it, the program returns this:

Can't fork for rpcinfo: No such file or directory

Adding a "-v" for verbose output gives me this:

-u localhost 100003  2>&1 |
Can't fork for rpcinfo: No such file or directory

NFS is definitely running (I've double checked).  I've googled for the
error messages, but all I've managed to locate so far is a page with the
source code for the plugin itself.

The error seems to be saying that it can't find the rpcinfo binary, but
it's on my system in /usr/sbin/.  I've run rpcinfo a few times (i.e.
rpcinfo -p) to see if anything is reported, and it is working (it shows
nfs plus a few other services).

Has anyone come across this before?  Have I found a bug?

Here is additional info:

- Fedora Core 1 running 2.4.22-1.2197.nptlsmp
- nagios-plugins-nrpe-2.0-3.rhfc1.dag
- nagios-1.2-0.rhfc1.dag
- nagios-plugins-1.3.1-10.rhfc1.dag

Thanks in advance,