[Nagiosplug-help] NRPE 2.0 - Linux to Linux - Error - could not complete SSL handshake

Andrew Howe chairmanhowe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 04:03:10 CET 2004

NRPE 2.0 Linux to Linux

I have successfully installed the NRPE binaries on my
RH9 box running Nagios 1.1 I have added the nrpe.cfg
file to nagios/etc/ folder and added check_nrpe to the
nagios/libexec folder.

I have successfully installed the NRPE_NT (v0.7)
client on a w2k box and have got that working very
well.

I CAN NOT get nrpe to work between two RH9 boxes.  I
will now describe my config:

When i connect I get the following error:
Error - could not complete SSL handshake

I have searched for answers and still have drawn a
blank.

There is no firewall between the boxes

Both Linux boxes have openssl-0.9.7a-2
The NRPE installs on both machines are NRPE 2.0 - base
install - I presume SSL Support is std

REMOTE HOST

nrpe daemon running via xinetd service

/etc/xinetd.d/nrpe
#default: on
service nrpe
{
flags = REUSE
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = nagios
group = nagios
server = /home/nagios/nrpe-2.0/src/
server_args = -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
--inetd
log_on_failure += USERID
disable = no
only_from = <IP Address> 127.0.0.1
}

xinetd restarted

hosts.allow file
nrpe: LOCAL,<IPADDRESS>,<IPADDRESS>

hosts.deny file
nrpe: ALL

I have also changed the nagios.cfg file so that the
allowed hosts line contains the IP address of my
Nagios box

Plugins are installed on the remote box

If someone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Regards

Andrew