[Nagiosplug-help] Problem with check_ntp

Pedro Silva psilva at dcc.online.pt
Wed May 26 01:31:10 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have this problem since I upgraded my version of ntp server on this
host. Before upgrading the service was always up and running but now
although the service is fine I get alerts every now and then. If you run
the check_ntp command by hand you can understand what's happening.

This is an example of several consecutive check of the service.

[root at server1 plugins]# ./check_ntp -H localhost
NTP OK: Offset -0.000001 secs, jitter 4.207 msec, peer is stratum 1
[root at server1 plugins]# ./check_ntp -H localhost
NTP OK: Offset -0.000001 secs, jitter 4.207 msec, peer is stratum 1
[root at server1 plugins]# ./check_ntp -H localhost
NTP CRITICAL: Looking for host localhost and service ntp
Server for ntp probably down
[root at server1 plugins]# ./check_ntp -H localhost
NTP OK: Offset 0.000003 secs, jitter 4.207 msec, peer is stratum 1
[root at server1 plugins]# ./check_ntp -H localhost
NTP OK: Offset -0.000001 secs, jitter 4.207 msec, peer is stratum 1

Anyone knows whats this all about? My version of NTP is 4.2.0 and my
plugins version is 1.3.1. I'm running a Mandrake Linux system.