[Nagiosplug-help] Check_ifoperstatus Plugin

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 27 01:22:01 CEST 2004

Naman Latif wrote:
> Hi, I am using "check_ifoperstatus" plugin to monitor various Cisco
> devices. It works fine mostly but for some devices its coming back as
>  "check_ifoperstatus plugin for Nagios monitors operational" in the
> Status Information field.
>
> I have verified that exactly the same command works from the command
> line and returns the correct info as "Interface xxx is up".
>
> Randomly it will start working ok. NAGIOS considers this false
> information as OK and doesn't send out the notification.

Nagios doesn't care about the textstring, but rather what exit code the
plugin returns. You can see the exit-code when running it manually by doing:
echo $?
immediately after you've run it.

> I have seen
> the same message being returned even if the device didn't respond to
> SNMP and NAGIOS considered it as OK state and didn't send out a
> notification. Anyone had the same problem ?

This is more serious. The plugins should all return UNKNOWN (or perhaps
CRITICAL in this case) when it can't get data to evaluate properly.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer