[Nagiosplug-help] Check_by_ssh fails if server has a banner

Chris de Vidal Chris at deVidal.tv
Fri Sep 17 08:55:09 CEST 2004

Nagios 1.2
Nagios-plugins 1.3.1
check_by_ssh 1.9
Debian 3.0r2 (Woody)
Kernel 2.6.7

On all of my SSH servers I've enabled a login banner in sshd_config like so:
Banner /etc/issue.net
Issue.net has a legal warning in it, so before the user is presented with
an authentication prompt they are warned.

However, check_by_ssh fails only works if I disable the banner.  If I use
the plain old SSH command and pipe stderr to null the banner is hidden:
ssh server command 2>/dev/null

check_by_ssh doesn't like the same treatment:
check_by_ssh -H server -C command 2>/dev/null # same as without null

Anyone know a workaround, beside disabling the banner?  Or should I file a
bug report?

God bless you,
/dev/idal

"...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are
justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ
Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received
by faith." (Romans 3:23-25)