[Nagiosplug-help] I can't figure out check_radius

Kevin Hanser kevin at mica.net
Wed Aug 10 12:07:28 CEST 2005

I can't seem to get check_radius to work for me.  I'm running on Gentoo
linux, and I have the radiusclient libraries installed and it made the
check_radius binary during the build of the plugins, so I think I got
that part ok.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, because whenever I try testing
from the command line, all I get is "Auth Error".  The thing is, it
doesn't even look like it's hitting my radius server (it's a different
machine), because the radius logs don't show a failed login like they
would if someone had tried to connect and failed.

I've modified /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf:

authserver	my.radius.server.com
acctserver	my.radius.server.com

and I added a shared key in /etc/radiusclient/servers:

my.radius.server.com		soopasecretkey

On my radius server, I added an entry for my nagios machine in
clients.conf:

client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx {
	secret		= soopasecretkey
	shortname	= nagiosserver
	nastype		= other
}

And I've added a user for nagios in the raddb/users file as well.

But when I run check_radius, all I get is "Auth Error":

$ ./check_radius -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
-F /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf -u nagios at mydomain.com -p
mypassword -P 1812
Auth Error

Yet the logs on the radius server show no activity... no failed login,
nothing...

Anyone know what I'm missing?

thx