[Nagiosplug-help] Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios 3.0,natively windows codes,support mysql,support agentless monitor , new web interface,more,Greatly

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Aug 16 23:54:49 CEST 2005

Sorry for cross-posting.

I want to point out that this distribution form of Nagios is illegal.
Including code from a GPL'd program is illegal unless you supply the
source-code through the same means as the binary version.

In some countries, downloading and/or using a program distributed in
violation with the GPL is illegal. In others it's not. Distributing
anything in violation of its copyright license is illegal everywhere.

Please note that selling their program (a modified GPL program) is
indeed within their rights. The lawbreaking part comes when they fail to
make the source-code available through the same channels as the binary
distribution (in this case as a http download).

It should also be noted that it's illegal for Wen Wu and Sakersoft to
plug their program as "Nagios 3.0", since Nagios is a registered
trademark of Ethan Galstad.

As for the GUI, I can't say if they've used GPL'd code or not. Judging
from the overall ethics of the company, I would like to urge all
developers of GPL'd Nagios-GUI's to take a good look at the snapshots
and see if any of seems to be generated by code (stylesheets) they wrote.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer