[Nagiosplug-help] plugins ./configure hangs

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Feb 22 15:42:04 CET 2005

Thomas Bolioli wrote:
> OK, I have discovered the root cause of the problems with the ping
> syntax check (located at or about line 14337) in the configure script.
> The test pings loopback with a series of different accepted syntax
> strings, looking for one that returns true on "^round-trip|^rtt". The
> kicker here was that my machines do not respond to ping but multiple
> forms of the syntax were ultimately acceptable, there was just 100%
> packet loss so no rtt information was available to display. So I changed
> this to be www.yahoo.com and it went through just fine. Either the
> configure script needs to not care about the success of the ping packets
> and just look for something that returns bad syntax (not safe/accurate
> enough) of ping a host that is known to respond. www.yahoo.com still
> responds but someone could set up www.nagios.org to respond and use that
> instead of the lookback.
> Tom

Pinging an internet address would cause a lot more failures in the
configuration (many set up nagios on blacknets or behind firewalls).
Better then to print an alert that it might take some time to run the
checks (they will end eventually, after all tests are completed,
although that could take a good long 40 minutes or so).

Ofcourse, blocking ICMP isn't that good idea in the first place. It's
not called the Internet Control Message Protocol just for fun, you know.