[Nagiosplug-help] check_procs and check_zombie, error

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Feb 24 00:45:10 CET 2005

Ben Clewett wrote:
> Sorry if asked before.
>
> I have new installation, SUSE 9.1 uptodate to 23/Feb/05 with plugins
> 1.4.  Compiled check_zombie and check_procs.
>
> Both return:
>
> stdout: System call sent warnings to stderr
> stderr: PROCS WARNING: 0 processes with STATE = Z
>
> Nagios only reports the stdout part.
>
> I would be happy to try and hack the code, but I need this working for a
> server ASAP, so that may have to wait :)
>
> Before that, may I ask if any member know of a reason for this behaviour?

If this is ps's doing, then this violates posix and sus. Posix/Unix
programs should only print critical errors to stderr (strace and ltrace
are not posix/unix programs). In that case you should file a bug report
with SUSE.

What happens if you run the command as it is in the code and pipe stdout
to /dev/null? It might be a reading/opening error in the plugin after all.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer