[Nagiosplug-help] Help with an event handler, NRPE: Unable to read output

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Wed Jan 5 09:35:25 CET 2005

I have created an event handler to restart tomcat using all of our
startup scripts etc.

The script works from the machine it resides on running as the Nagios
user.

Using ./check_nrpe -H hostname -c cycle_tomcat CRITICAL HARD 3

Fails giving me

NRPE: Unable to read output

I currently use check_disk and several other plugins from nrpe
successfully. If I make an echo script and call it, it returns fine.

I've added

Echo "cycle_tomcat" > /tmp/event-handler.out

As the very first line of the script, and that works.

I've also tried setting up the restart-httpd event handler that comes
with Nagios, and get the exact same problem. If I run it from the
machine as the Nagios user, it works perfectly. If I call it from nrpe,
it fails and gives me NRPE: Unable to read output.

The permissions are overly broad right now to make sure there's not a
problem, although everything is owned by nagios, with 7, and other
plugins inside of the directory work fine.

Currently my listing in nrpe for trying the restart-httpd script is

[restart-httpd]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/restart-httpd

Nathan Oyler

Information Technology

480-308-2342 Office

Khimetrics Inc.