[Nagiosplug-help] check_traffic - please help

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jan 12 05:13:16 CET 2005

Chris Goosen wrote:
> Errm.. I am now I am confused..
>
> What I would like to do it the following:
> I am currently monitoring many wan links (routers) and I would like to
> know more about them (a simple ping just tells me that they are up!) I
> figured if I use check_traffic it would tell me what the traffic looks
> like on the link.

It will tell you how much traffic passes, not what it looks like. Look
into ntop if you want traffic analysis.

> I thought that I would follow the instructions and get
> it going, if I use only ./check_traffic, that works but how do I they
> get it to do that I need in the nagios interface?

A classical case of RTFM. You want the section about how services and
checkcommands interrelates.

> Sorry, but I am a bit of a newbie with nagios, I got it working fine,
> but now I need to do more advanced things.

The documentation is very extensive and will provide answers to your
questions.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer