[Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe build sucks

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jul 12 08:35:22 CEST 2005

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as I've found out I need to install an NRPE daemon on all
> hosts/nodes whose e.g. filesystem space or running procs I wish
> to monitor (I would say a very common requirement for any
> monitoring system).
> Unfortunately the Nagios documentation isn't pretty articulate on
> this subject, merely these vague mentionings:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/addons.html#nrpe
> To add to the confusion the anchor in this page doesn't directly
> point to the URL that I would have expected, namely
> http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Search_Projects.43.0.html?tx_netnag
> ext_pi1%5Bphrase%5D=nrpe&tx_netnagext_pi1%5Bsearch%5D=1
> So it took me a while until I stumbled over the further required
> download links for nrpe.
>
> Most of the systems I need to monitor are HPUX, Solaris, AIX
> (much fewer are Linux boxes).
> Need I mention that these OSes are usually only furnished with a
> crippleware "compiler" that basically is only capable of linking
> a new kernel (on Solaris even that isn't required thanks to high
> degree of modularization).
> Whenever I need to build some apps from open sources for these
> boxes I can only rely on gcc.
> Especially on HPUX gcc performs very poorly.

This is due to the header-files found on most HPUX boxen, which are
usually broken unless you use the HPUX C pre-processor.

> Thus I am really glad whenever I find a prebuilt package or depot
> for these platforms.
>
> Well I trust that the NRPE daemon from the HPUX-PARISC NRPE depot
> will work.
> I configured it to be run through inetd as outlined in the
> README.
>
> What's annoying is that I also need the whole bunch of check_*
> plugin binaries on these platforms.

How come? Did you expect all the logic to be built into nrpe?

> But for those they don't supply any prebuilt packages or depots.
>
> I also found that although I somehow got the plugins compiled and
> installed on the AIX Nagios server (i.e. manager) the check_npre
> binary was missing.

You don't need the check_nrpe binary on the system you want to monitor.
You only need it on the server where Nagios is running.

> Ok, I got the nrpe sources (I'm afraid no AIX package available)
> and tried to compile the stuff
>
> This was how I had the Makefiles created
>
> # ./configure --prefix=/opt/sw/nagios --enable-ssl
> --with-ssl-lib=/usr/local/lib/openssl-0.9
> --with-ssl-include=/usr/local/include/openssl
> --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios
> --with-nagios-port=5666
>
> This is the AIX platform and its gcc version
>
> # uname -srv
> AIX 3 4
>
> # gcc -v
> Reading specs from
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0/2.95.3/specs
> gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
>

> Here is where the linker aborts
>
> # make all
>         cd ./src/; make ; cd ..
>         gcc -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/openssl
> -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o nrpe nrpe.c
>  utils.c -L/usr/local/lib/openssl-0.9  -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl
> nrpe.c: In function `main':
> nrpe.c:198: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
> without a cast
> nrpe.c: In function `handle_connection':
> nrpe.c:755: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_read' from
> incompatible pointer type
> nrpe.c:927: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_write' from
> incompatible pointer type
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .get_dh512
> ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
> information.
> collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

What linker are you using? What's the version of your openssl
installation? nrpe (and check_nrpe) requires 0.9.6 or later.

> Stop.
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
>

> Stop.
>

> Ok, I understand that I don't need the NRPE daemon on this AIX
> box since this is the Nagios server.
> So I think it would suffice to only get the check_nrpe plugin
> compiled in the plugins subdir of the source tarball.
> Is that so, or would I require any other components as well on
> the Nagios server?

You only need check_nrpe on the nagios server.