[Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe build sucks

Mascardo, Erwin Erwin.Mascardo at intelsat.com
Thu Jul 14 07:23:47 CEST 2005

<snip>

>This is the comment stripped content of nrpe.cfg
>
># grep '^[^#]' /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
>dont_blame_nrpe=0
>debug=0
>command_timeout=60
>command[check_tns_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env
>ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
>/bin --tns FREMD
>command[check_db_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env
>ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
>/bin --db FREMD
>command[check_login_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env
>ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
>/bin --login FREMD
>

>Unfortunately you didn't reveal one or more of your command
>definitios.
>I'm not sure if the @libexecdir@ construct, which to me looks
>like a macro placeholder,
>really gets expanded correctly.
>But I thought this was compiled in from the --prefix flag during
>configure run.
>

>What puzzles me is that you define server_port in nrpe.cfg
>as it should be not needed since the port is registered in
>/etc/services.
>Also it says that nrpe_user and nrpe_group aren't required when
>run under the auspice of inetd.
>The nrpe_user is already in the server definition as 5th field in
>inetd.conf.

Correct, but like I said earlier, it doesn't hurt -- and it was needed
when I tested it as standalone, without inetd.

>That's what I mean with poorly documented.
>This is all not clear to me from the comments since they even
>seem to be contradicting.
>It also nowhere says if and how the "macro" placeholders are
>expanded,
>or if the should be substituted with fixed values by the user.

Did you by any chance take the nrpe.cfg.in file directly out of the
source distribution and modify that? That's where the "macro"
placeholders came in, and yes, they're supposed to have things
substituted in during the build. I can see where your confusion came
from, then.

You should have ended up with an nrpe.cfg file in the top level of the
source tree after the build, with the substitution done on the macros.
That's how I got server_port defined.

@libexecdir@ should point to wherever your local plugins reside.

--Erwin

Intelsat is a global communications provider offering flexible and
secure services to customers in over 220 countries and territories.
Intelsat has maintained a leadership position for over 40 years by
distributing video, voice, and data for television and content providers,
government and military entities, major corporations, telecommunications carriers,
and Internet service providers. Intelsat's reach, power and expanding solutions
portfolio deliver information reliably and quickly to every corner of the globe.

For more information, visit www.intelsat.com.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all copies of the original message.  Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them
to be the views of Intelsat, Ltd. and its subsidiaries.