[Nagiosplug-help] Helprequest about Plugin Return Codes

Hendrik Baecker b00mer at gmx.net
Tue Jun 28 02:47:02 CEST 2005

Hi List,

at the moment I am writing on some tools for detecting an offline nagios
server when runnung two Nagios Server in redundance.

My plan is to write a little tool that executes a check_nrpe to connect
from the backup to the master to execute there a check_nagios.

My tool works so far that I can see the Pluginoutput and the exit code.
But I am wondering that the exitcode for a WARNING is 256 and for
CRITICAL 512.

As far as I remember the return codes for Plugins should be between 0
and 3, isn't it so?

I am using:

./check_nagios -V
check_nagios (nagios-plugins 1.4) 1.25

The only hint I was able to find is the enum in the common.h.
I am not a programer, but if I understand the syntax of enum right it
should define exit codes integer from 0 +1...

Can someone tell me more about this?

Best regards
Hendrik