[Nagiosplug-help] check_radius timeout error

Brian tbt at intercom.net
Wed Mar 16 09:11:53 CET 2005

Hello,

I'm using Freebsd and have installed the nagios-2.0.b2 and
nagios-plugins-1.4_1 ports.  Everything is up and running.. web
interface works fine, but my check_radius plugin is not working right.
The web interface reports Auth Error, but when trying from command line,
I am getting timeouts.  I have no problem pinging the radius machine, or
doing a radtest on it, but using the check_radius script it will simply
timeout after the 10 second timeout limit.

I have radiusclient-0.4.7 installed and have added the radius IP address
and shared secret to my /usr/local/etc/radiusclient/servers file.  An
interesting thing I noticed is that before I added the IP and secret to
that file, I was getting Auth Error instead of Timeout.  The IP is also
added as a client on the radius server, so that should be setup fine.
When doing a tcpdump on the radius server, I am seeing no connections
coming from my nagios machine, and when I do a tcpdump on my nagios
machine, I am seeing no outgoing traffic to the radius IP.  It looks
like the plugin is broken. ./check_radius -V returns "check_radius
(nagios-plugins 1.4) 1.21".

Here is my checkcommand.cfg definition for check_radius:

define command {
       command_name    check_radius
       command_line    $USER1$/check_radius -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -P 1645 -u
user at domain.com -p password_to_test -F
/usr/local/etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf -r 3 -t 10

       }

I have also replaced $USER1$ with the full path to the check_radius
script, and replaced $HOSTADDRESS$ with the actual IP from command line.

Here is my hosts.cfg definition for the radius server:

define host {
       use                     generic     #sets default notification
options#
       host_name               auth
       alias                   Radius LB Cluster
       address                 192.168.1.5
       check_command           check-host-alive
       max_check_attempts      5
       contact_groups          radius
}

The check_icmp plugin works fine to the same machine, and that returns
OK on the web interface as well on command line.  As does check_pop and
check_smtp.  It just seems to be specific to the check_radius plugin.
Please give any assistance you can.

Thanks.

Brian Taylor