[Nagiosplug-help] /lib/libnsl.so.1 issue w/ check_icmp.o

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 28 15:16:21 CEST 2005

Michael Shoemaker wrote:
> <chuckle> not sure if this is a good thing, but I have found a solaris install
> that it doesn't work on, the output follows. (providing I have done
> everything right)

Indeed, and you have done everything right.

> # make
> gcc -O2 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer     -c -o check_icmp.o
> check_icmp.c
> gcc check_icmp.o -o check_icmp || gcc -lnsl -lsocket check_icmp.o -o
> check_icmp
> socket                              check_icmp.o
> gethostbyname                       check_icmp.o
> setsockopt                          check_icmp.o
> h_errno                             check_icmp.o
> inet_aton                           check_icmp.o
> hstrerror                           check_icmp.o
> sendto                              check_icmp.o
> inet_ntoa                           check_icmp.o
> recvfrom                            check_icmp.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to check_icmp

These errors are from the first compilation attempt and won't go away.

> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> inet_aton                           check_icmp.o
> hstrerror                           check_icmp.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to check_icmp
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [check_icmp] Error 1

These are from the second attempt. hstrerror() is obsolete, but I would
have thought solaris had the inet_aton function somewhere.

Not to worry though. I worked around solaris' shortcomings in the
library department. I uploaded a new release today, so you might want to
give it a shake and see if it works better.