[Nagiosplug-help] check_udp question

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Mar 31 07:45:34 CEST 2005

Steve Belt <rgpg70> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am fairly new to nagios and have a question about the check_udp
> plugin.  I am attempting to use the plugin to monitor the syslogd
> process on several machines.  I am using the following format:
>
> check_udp -H xx.xx.xx.xx -p 514
> (syslogd listed as 514/udp in /etc/services)
>
> However, whenever I run the command I always get the following results:
>
> No data was recieved from host!
> No response from host on port 514

Syslog is a passive service using datagrams to handle its oneway
communication. Checking it over the network won't work; you'll need to
use nrpe or ssh to check and see that the process is running.

> The syslogd process is running on the machine.  If I kill syslogd, the
> command returns:
>
> No response from host on port 514
>
> which is expected.

Next time, finish your mail here...

>  Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to why
> this is occurring and how to fix/workaround it?

... since this question right above is fairly implicit by your problem.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer