[Nagiosplug-help] check_http returns WARNING status on errors

David G. Schlecht dschlecht at doit.nv.gov
Mon Nov 21 08:13:05 CET 2005

Hi All,

Looking at the code for check_http (~line 986) v1.4.2
 /* client errors result in a warning state */
  else if (http_status >= 400)
    die (STATE_WARNING, _("HTTP WARNING: %s\n"), status_line

A WARNING state on 404 errors seems, well, wrong. In my feeble way of thinking, any result that doesn't have the expected string should be a CRITICAL status.

How do you experts handle this? I've considered sending notifications on WARNING state but the status of 'WARNING' is going to convey that it's not a critical error so it will, at times, get overlooked.

- David