[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp seems flapping - followon to RE: make of nagios-plugins-1.4.5 on AIX 4.3 fails

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Dec 1 19:12:03 CET 2006

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
> Hallo Andreas,
>
> your check_icmp plugin is working fine.

Glad to hear it. *pats ones owns back*

> What still annoys me a little is that the nagios daemon doesn't
> seem to
> reinitialize correctly when it catches a SIGHUP.
> (I waited quater of an hour, which would be far too long anyway)

Indeed. I normally give it ten seconds, and that's it.

> Although it correctly reports the signal handling in its logfile
> when I try to access the webinterface I get that Woops page as if
> nagios hasn't started at all.

This is most likely due to a glitch found in most daemons that try to
clear their state entirely rather than just running themselves through
execve() and letting the kernel do the cleanup; Most likely, some
variable somewhere is not getting cleaned up, so this is causing your
problems.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se