[Nagiosplug-help] NRPE

Martin J. Green mgreen at altien.com
Fri Jul 28 13:12:42 CEST 2006

Having problems getting NRPE to connect. Followed the manual, checked
the faq, still nothing.

The status in service detail in web interface shows...

CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

I've switched debug on, but still see no errors in syslog.

Config on nagios host is as follows...

define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use
        host_name               dell05
        alias                   dell05.dev.altien.com
        address                 192.168.0.37
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        check_period            24x7
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,r
        contact_groups  admins
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use
        host_name                       dell05
        service_description             Root Partition
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              4
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        notification_interval           960
        notification_period             24x7
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_disk1
        }

define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line    /usr/libexec/nagios/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$
-c $ARG1$
        }

Client machine has

command[check_disk1]=/usr/libexec/nagios/check_disk -w 10% -c 5% -p
/dev/hda1

(That command works locally)

When I try and execute check_nrpe on nagios host, it returns the same
error:

root at backup:/usr/libexec/nagios# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.0.37 -p 5666 -c
check_disk1
CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

It's possible it's a network problem - we have two segments connected by
firewall/bridge. This is one of the few machines that are connected to
both - it has two NIC's - the client machine is on the subnet of the
second NIC, so if nagios is binding to the first nic only that would
cause the problem?

_________
The questions remain the same. The answers are eternally variable.

Martin J. Green
Altien Ltd
E: mgreen at altien.com