[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp reporting 100% pkt loss when host is "pingeable"

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 27 07:29:11 CEST 2006

Alejandro Mejía Evertsz wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>

> I wrote this message to the nagios-users list, but had no reply. Maybe
> here’s the right place to post my problem.
>

> I was having problems with “segmentation fault” using check_ping command,
> and I found some info on this list regarding that and suggesting to use
> check_icmp instead.
>
> Check_icmp is great… it’s faster, and don’t consume much resources, but I’m
> having this problem:
>

> It works fine for some hours, but suddenly all hosts are reported as “DOWN”
> with packet loss of 100%
>
> I get the net interface down with ifconfig, and then back up again, and
> nothing. I have to restart the server and then it works fine again.

This is most likely the result of an old check_icmp running on a system
where pid's are more than 16 bits (i.e. the pid can be larger than
65535, as on recent FreeBSD f.e.). You can upgrade to the latest
check_icmp and the problems should go away.

If the fix isn't available in a recent package from the official
nagiosplug package you should be able to use the one found at
http://oss.op5.se/nagios/check_icmp-2005-06-01.tar.gz

You can notice if the fix is available from the nagiosplug project by doing

$ grep -q 'pid & 0xffff' check_icmp.c && echo "Fix available"

in the "plugins" directory of the expanded tar-ball.

> The hosts I’m monitoring are up, and if I use a normal “ping” command to
> reach them, I get reply.
>
> Also if I use “check_ping” from shell, I get PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA
> = 109.81 ms

Matches completely with other bug-reports re the same issue, so feels
fairly safe to say you should be running a functional version within a
couple of minutes.

> If it helps:
>
> I’m using FreeBSD 6.0 Stable and installed nagios from ports.

That helps indeed (see above). :)

In the future, please put such info on top of the message, preferrably
along with the version of the plugins you're using.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se