[Nagiosplug-help] check_smtp.c error in make

bobi at netshel.net bobi at netshel.net
Wed Nov 8 18:35:33 CET 2006

I jusst downloaded and compiled the latest Nagios Plugins (1.4.5) on a
Solaris 5.8 box without incident.  (Well, it did miss include -lz and -ldl
in the linker flags for the plugins directoryt, but that's a different
issue than yours...)

Anyway, from looking at the check_cmtp.c source and the error lines
referenced in your make output, it looks like the configure process is not
including the proper system header for the DNS functions (gethostbyname()
and the hostent structure.)

This header file (/usr/include/netdb.h) should be included within the
common.h plugin header file, but in your case, it looks like it isn't.

Since I don't have Solaris 5.7 lying around, you might verify that your
system has the /usr/include/netdb.h file and that it includes definitions
for the gethostbyname() function and "struct hostent".

If so, then the configure script needs to be tweaked to detect and include
these file properly.

In the meantime, as a workaround, you can manually add the following line:

#include <netdb.h>

to either somewhere near the top of the check_smtp.c file or to the
common.h file.

Bob