[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp seems flapping - followon to RE: make of nagios-plugins-1.4.5 on AIX 4.3 fails

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Thu Nov 30 15:43:41 CET 2006

> You'd get this problem if you use an old check_icmp on a system
that
> handles process id's > 65535. In the old version, check_icmp
didn't
> recognize valid ICMP responses because the id-field used in the
icmp
> header is only 16 bits wide, so a 32-bit pid doesn't fit in it.
This
> would typically only happen when the pid of check_icmp is
larger than
> 65535,

Yeah, that could well be the case.
This box hasn't been booted for a while.
So we occassionally get high PIDs assigned.
Here for instance are nagios'es own current procs
(note check_host)

$ ps -u nagios
      UID   PID    TTY  TIME CMD
      263 15124      -  0:00 nagios
      263 24018 pts/28  0:00 ps
      263 31768 pts/28  0:00 bash
      263 48620 pts/24  0:00 less
      263 57662      -  1:44 nagios
      263 65990      -  0:00 check_host
      263 79054 pts/24  0:00 bash
$ uptime
  03:38PM   up 220 days,   5:11,  39 users,  load average: 0.24,
0.41, 0.51