[Nagiosplug-help] check_dhcp plugin on OS X

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 25 10:59:07 CEST 2006

Randall R. Saeks wrote:
> When I am trying to run this and check with the syntax:
>
> ./check_dhcp -s myserver -r myIP
>
> I get the following message:  Error: can't get MAC address for this
> architecture.
>
> I got the binaries for the nagios plugins through macports.  Is there
> something I am missing for this?

Since there is no standard way of getting low-level hardware information
(such as MAC-addresses and the like), check_dhcp contains a lot of
portability code that makes it work on different systems. I don't think
the OSX version of the bsd kernel where the plugins you're using were
compiled had any published API's usable for determining this information.

In short, check_dhcp probably doesn't work on Mac OSX, because it hasn't
been ported to it yet.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se