[Nagiosplug-help] Need some assistance with the check_cluster2 plug-in

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 02:06:44 CEST 2006

Hello everyone!

I've been tasked with porting my companies current Nagios setup, which
is on Nagios 1.x, over to Nagios 2.x.  Most things have gone quite
well, except for one thing.  In our old setup, we're using the
check_cluster plugin to monitor our load-balanced clusters, and that
has worked beautifully.  However, I can't seem to get the
configuration right using the check_cluster2 plugin for Nagios 2.x.
I'm sure it's something stupid I'm doing, but since I haven't found a
lot of clear documentation, I can't figure out what it is.

Right now, I'm trying to cluster together our 3 DNS servers in our
datacenter.  I've configured the individual checks against the
services, and those work great - I was able to take them almost
verbatim from our old config.  I have hosts dns1, dns2, dns3, each
with a service named DNS.  Reading the docs at:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/clusters.html

I set up a new entry in checkcommands.cfg:

define command{
        command_name    check_service_cluster
        command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_cluster2
--service -l $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ -d $ARG4$
        }

And, I set a service configuration like this:

check_command                   check_service_cluster!"DNS
Cluster"!1!2!$SERVICESTATEID:dns1:DNS$,$SERVICESTATEID:dns2:DNS$,$SERVICESTATEID:dns3:DNS$

But, when this is run by nagios, it results in an "Invalid Arguments
Supplied" error - I've probably got something wrong in the
$SERVICESTATEID$ macro, but can anyone please point me in the right
direction?

Thanks
Jeremy