[Nagiosplug-help] check mail more than check_smtp

Marlo Bell BellMR at ldschurch.org
Wed Sep 20 19:58:47 CEST 2006

Here is a script (assuming the attachment makes it thru) I have written and
obfuscated to do this for a list server address. It could easily be adapted to
meet your needs. Basically it gives the email system the nagios check interval
time to process the email and deliver it to a mail box. It will check the POP
account, and determine the status of the service, and delete the message which
was sent last time the plugin was run, then regardless of the outcome it will
send a new message. If all is working well, you should have one message in the
email box at all times.

Hope you find this useful.

Marlo

>>> David Schlecht <dschlecht at doit.nv.gov> 9/20/2006 11:41 AM >>>
Hi list

I need to check an SMTP mail exchanger (MX) by validating the e-mail
I send to it. This checks both that the message was received by
SMTP and was forwarded to our e-mail server.

It looks like I need to send a message, using the specified SMTP
server, and do a POP check to validate that the message was received
by the POP server.

Any suggestions on how best to do this?

- David Schlecht (dschl)

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/nagiosplug-help.32.0.html