[Nagiosplug-help] check_smtp doesn't read whole lines

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Aug 2 02:59:17 CEST 2007

For some unknown network reason, I'm getting the SMTP banner line split
into multiple packets between a certain client/server combination.  This
breaks trying to do anything beyond a simple "look for the banner" check
with check_smtp, because it isn't reading correctly.  It reads a packet
and treats it as a single response, instead of reading whole lines.

The HELO/EHLO response handling is also broken in that it reads only a
packet instead of properly handling multi-line SMTP responses.

This means for example I can't use STARTTLS (because check_smtp wrongly
believes the server doesn't support it).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>