[Nagiosplug-help] check_ping critical you need more args could not pipe

Don Munyak don.munyak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 19:23:25 CET 2007

re: check_ping critical you need more args
OS: FreeBSD 6.1_RELEASE
Nagios: Version 2.5, July 13, 2006

I am having a terrible isue with check_ping.
I have spent about two weeks googling for answers.

I setup Nagios from /usr/ports ... # make, # make install clean.
Everything appeared to install correctly with no errors.
I edited the *.cfg files with respect to http://nagiosbook.org, using
a very minimal configuration just to get going.

However, after making all the adjustments, the Nagios web interface is
complaining.
>From the Event Log:

"HOST NOTIFICATION:
donmunyak;localhost;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;CRITICAL - You need more
args!!!"

I am starting Nagios manually using the following string
# /usr/local/bin/nagios /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg &

After starting Nagios, access to the web interface is successful.
>From the > Sevice Detail (pipes added for reabability):

Host | Service | Status | Last Check | Duration | Attempt | Status Information
localhost|PING|UNKNOWN|01-12-2007|16:16:06|3d 19h 18m 19s|1/4|CRITICAL
- You need more args!!!

I read a thread about strace. Here's the string and output from running strace

don-bsd# # mount -t procfs procfs /proc
don-bsd# strace -o /tmp/strace_check_ping_output.txt
/usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_ping -H localhost -w 100.0,20% -c
500.0,60% -p 5 {-->>hit enter key}
CRITICAL - You need more args!!!
Could not open pipe:

I could really use some help with this.