[Nagiosplug-help] check_ping critical you need more args could not pipe

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Wed Jan 17 06:54:51 CET 2007

On 17/01/07 12:32 AM, Don Munyak wrote:
> On 1/16/07, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest <dermoth at aei.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I can't even see the text "You need more args" in  check_ping.c.
>>

> Please clarify "are your sure I'm using nagios-plugins". I installed
> Nagios from ports system from within FreeBSD using make, make install
> clean with the folder /usr/ports/net-mgmt/nagios.

Your problem seems to be specific with Ports and you should rather see
if there's a maintainer for the Nagios package of the Ports system.

Nagios usually consists of two things: Nagios (daemon & cgi) and Nagios
Plugins (check_* in /whatever/path/to/libexec/). What you could try is
to uninstall Nagios from Ports and instead download and install Nagios
and Nagios-plugins from www.nagios.org.

> I did not install any further files.
>
>  Maybe I'm confused, but there are several (20+) files in
> /usr/local/libexec/nagios/ ....including check_ping.
>

>>> don-bsd# # mount -t procfs procfs /proc
>>> don-bsd# strace -o /tmp/strace_check_ping_output.txt
>>> /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_ping -H localhost -w 100.0,20% -c
>>> 500.0,60% -p 5 {-->>hit enter key}
>>> CRITICAL - You need more args!!!
>>> Could not open pipe:
>

> btw... I can run this same command using check_icmp from commandline
> with "no errors", but when I change minimal.cfg to use the check_icmp
> for Services and re start Nagios, I get different errors about error
> code 127 out of bounds, make sure the plugins are installed.

In commands.cfg there's likely a USERn variable for the path(ex.
$USER1$/check_icmp bla bla bla...), make sure check_icmp is in the path
defined for that variable, that it is executable by the nagios user and
is suid root. I just checked that file in one of my prod boxes and it's
not executable by nagios (We don't use it so we haven't noticed).

Thomas