[Nagiosplug-help] ipm and nrpe together, how-to??

david hill dallas_desperados at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 21:23:19 CET 2007

Hi list

I'm trying to use some of the IMPI plugins with the NRPE package and they will not play together. The issue I'm having is the IMPI plugins use the impitool, which only runs as root user from the best I can tell. Well the NRPE daemon, which gets it's user/group from the nrpe.cfg file will NOT run as root user.

So I have a catch-22 I can't figure out how to get around. I was wondering if someone has a solution or a suggestion for this problem.

Thanks..

A bit of data when run as nagios user, which is how NRPE runs:

#ipmitool sdr
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory
Get Device ID command failed
Unable to open SDR for reading

- david hill (david(dallas))