[Nagiosplug-help] Nagios Configuration with NRPE not working

Vincent K. Britton BrittonV at Wiznet.com
Wed Jul 25 20:42:08 CEST 2007

Greetings,

I am rolling out Nagios, and have installed NRPE but I can't get it to
work with Nagios.  I am using the book "NAGIOS System and Network
Monitoring".  The problems began when I added wizapp001

When I run # /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg I
get:
	Nagios 2.7
	Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
	Last Modified: 01-19-2007
	License: GPL

	Reading configuration data...

	Error: Could not find any host matching 'wizapp001'
	Error: Could not expand hostgroups and/or hosts specified in
service 	(config file
'/etc/nagios/mysite/linux/services/services.cfg', 	starting on line
16)

	***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the
config 	files...

I am at a complete loss as to how to troubleshoot this!  Please tell me
what I am doing wrong.  Here are my configuration files:

# more /etc/nagios/mysite/linux/services/services.cfg #ns2atl worked
fine
define service{
        host_name                       ns2atl
        service_description             check PING
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        check_period                    24x7
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r,f
        contact_groups                  localadmins
}

# Here is where I added the new server
define service{
        host_name                       wizapp001
        service_description             FS_app
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_disk_app
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        check_period                    24x7
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r,f
        contact_groups                  localadmins
}

# more /etc/nagios/mysite/linux/hosts/wizapp001
define host{
        host_name               wizapp001
        alias                   wizapp001
        address                 172.16.1.111
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      3
        check_period            24x7
        contact_groups          localadmins
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r,f
}

# more /etc/nagios/mysite/commands.cfg
# Check remote servers
define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
        }

NRPE works find from the command line:
# /usr/local/src/nrpe-2.7.1/src/check_nrpe -H 172.16.1.111 -c
check_disk_app
DISK OK - free space: /app 17314 MB (61% inode=99%);|
/app=10710MB;29515;29520;0;29525

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!!!