[Nagiosplug-help] checking logs

Robert Cole robert.cole at support4linux.com
Mon Jun 25 22:03:48 CEST 2007

Ok, I'm going nuts here because no matter what check log type of script
I use on nagiosexchange.org none seem to work. I just tried
check_logs.pl and that's even listed in the nagios book I have with an
example yet I get this when I try to run it:

[root at tui001 ~]# /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_logs.pl -c
/etc/nagios/check_logs.cfg
Error: can not load configuration file.
[root at tui001 ~]#

The configuration file looks like this:

# /etc/nagios/check_logs.cfg
$seek_file_template='/home/nagios/$log_file.check_log.seek

@log_files = (
        {'file_name' => '/var/log/youmail/login.log',
         'reg_exp' => 'No ManagedConnections available within configured
blocking timeout',
        },
);

I use to have a 1; down at the bottom using an example right out of the
book "Nagios System and Network Monitoring" by Wolfgang Barth on page
143 but it still didn't work and I got the same error there. The
permissions on the file I even set to 777 so its not permissions.

Can anyone help me please? All I'm trying to do is look for specific
strings of text in various log files and NOTHING I've found works. I've
tried these plugins on Gentoo, RHEL v5, Fedora 7, CentOS 5 and nothing
is working to simply look for strings of text. I'm not a scripter by any
stretch and I have nagios working pretty well for anything that I can
test from a remote station but getting anything that looks for strings
of text via check_by_ssh or nrpe is a complete no go.

Please help.

Thanks,
Robert