[Nagiosplug-help] Checking for hung services on Windows?

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Fri Mar 16 23:55:46 CET 2007

> NC_NEt is capable of doing WMI checks. and current version is able to run
> Scripts/executables loaded into the script folder.

Yep.  I love NC_NEt.  :)

> I have a new version of NC_NEt that offers a lot of updates to NC_NEt. I
> will most likely be releasing it next week since I just finish codeing it
> and I now need to test it. Only use the
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nc-net for NC_NEt the older version 2x and
> earlier work with Dot Net 1.1.  While The newest version comming out
> v4.xhas the most functionallity as well as optimization of Event Log
> checks and
> NC_NEt Command timeouts.
>
> As for the Hung program that is a difficult thing to detect on Windows.  I
> would say that it is application specific. for example, if the application
> writes to a file every 10 min, then you can detect if it has hung if the
> file has not been modified in over 10 min.  Or if there is a command you
> can
> issue to the program through a command line tool then you can test via a
> script.
>
> How do I detect if a application has hung on windows, Is a good
> Question.  Too bad, there is no easy answer.  Some application sometimes
> apper Hung and Max out the CPU but once the CPU load decreases they begin
> functioning normally again.  So maybe you could monitor the applications
> CPU
> load and Send out Warnings when it is above 90 and for over 5 min.?

Yeah, I haven't quite figured that out yet...  One of our developers
at work says that Windows detects a non-responding process by
periodically sending each process a signal, and looking for a response.
Not sure if that interface is available via WMI yet or not...

> Have you tried contacting the application developer to see if there is a
> reason that caused it to Hang? or if the Application developer can
> recomend
> an external way of testing if it has stalled?

No, not yet...  That's my next step, I think.

> Whatever you choose to do, NC_NEt should be able to assist you in meeting
> this Goal.  There are also other Windows clients and Scripts that could be
> used as well.  but the Key issue in your case is not WHat to use, but How
> detect this stalled app.

Thanks, Tony.  I'm pretty sure I'll be using NC_NEt to do it.  :)

Benny

--
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I ever catch a spammer,
I will hang him upside down with rusty barbed wire by his nether-regions