[Nagiosplug-help] Multiple lines of output

Andrew Wilkin andrew.wilkin at lands.nsw.gov.au
Fri May 25 07:34:32 CEST 2007

Hi list

I've exhausted all known avenues on the Nagios sites for this request!

The Nagios online documentation mentions mutliple lines of output from a plugin. But I don't seem to be able to get it to work within a shell script. The shell script shall print the  output on multiple lines and I've even tried embedding '\n' character within the output.

I've written a plugin that shall monitor the state of a number of Services, but I want each service displayed on a separate line (if possible).
Script
echo "Broker $BROKER is running.\nConfig Mgr $CONFMGR is running."
Nagios displays:-
Broker XXXXXXX is running.Config Mgr YYYYYY is running.

If I use two 'echo' statements then only the First line is displayed within Nagios.

What I would like to see is:-
Broker XXXXXXX is running.
Config Mgr YYYYYY is running.

Any information greatly appreciated.