[Nagiosplug-help] [Nagios-users] monitoring application with nrpe

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:39:21 CEST 2007

yes I also found the documentation a bit lacking.

basically, install nrpe on each server, this needs an nrpe.cfg which is
documented with comments.

you need to define each check_command in nrpe.cfg on each server. I use
on and push this to all servers over ssh/rsync.

then on nagios server use check_nrpe -H hostname -c check_command which
connects to the remote nrpe port (5666) by default, executes the plugin,
returns the standard output and the status code.

you might want to run your nrpe through xinetd to filter ips allowed to
call nrpe checks (or use iptables or something), nrpe has ip
restrictions removed now I think...

the rest you should be able to figure out by yourself.

-h

Hari Sekhon