[Nagiosplug-help] scan_log plugin missing some bits?

Gerhard Lausser Gerhard.Lausser at consol.de
Tue Sep 25 23:36:57 CEST 2007

Hi,
> that many be invoked by that one) Also is this the best
> script for scanning /var/adm/messages file on Solaris for
> error messages (e.g., disk going offline, disk bad sectors,
allow me some advertising ;-) check_logfiles might not be the best of all
scripts, but it's used by a lot of people to scan their logfiles for
interesting patterns. Besides simple scanning it allows to execute scripts
(or perl code) if a pattern match occured. Since the last release it is also
possible to neutralize already found critical patterns by so called ok
patterns.
So if there is a message "help: backup needs a tape" which initially counts
as a critical error, a following message "cleared: robot inserted tape"
resets the counter and the plugin does not generate a notification.
Find more examples on http://www.consol.com/opensource/nagios/check-logfiles

Greetings from munich,
Gerhard