[Nagiosplug-help] How to format send/expect strings for check_udp against SNMP managed devices?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 27 12:00:03 CEST 2007

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> you are absolutely right.
>
> I simply forgot that according to SNMP RFCs every vendor is
> demanded to furnish
> with its own MIB extensions a minimal set of standard leaf
> descriptors such as the sysDescr,
> if his product shall conform to the standards.
>
> So, as you suggested I make a check_snmp of
> RFC1213-MIB::sysDescr.0
> my default "check_host" for SNMP managed devices.
>
> Btw. what form of invocation is to prefer?
> This one where I pass the MIB to load explicitly via -m

> or the more often used form with prepended MIB?

The correct answer is "none of the above". Use the OID directly
instead. It's not subject to change. .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 is the
one you want, and will save quite a bit of load every time you
run the check.

> As the really executed snmpget command, which the -v option
> additionally displays, implies to me
> the second form seems to load ALL MIBs from net-snmp's mib dirs
> which to me seems to be more wasteful than the preselection via
> -m.
> Is this true?

Yes. By default the Net-SNMP tools load all the mibs on every
invocation. You can limit the number of mibs to load using the
-m switch, and also tell it to load mibs from different locations.

"-m :" will make it load no mibs at all, which is what you want.
The check_snmp plugin will notice if you're using an oid or a
mib-name and act accordingly.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se