[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp oddness

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Apr 7 18:50:08 CEST 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 1:42 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Israel Brewster wrote:
>> I am having some difficulty using the check_icmp plugin to monitor
>> a  number of my hosts, specifically Linksys RV082 routers running
>> the  latest firmware. What's happening is if I have a command line
>> such as:
>> ./check_icmp -n 2 -m 1 -w 3000,80% -c 5000,100% xx.xxx.xxx.111
>> xx.xxx.xxx.33
>
> Add '-i 0.5s' to the command line and it might just magically start
> working. That will increase the packet interval, which can sometimes
> be too short when sending to a single host with multiple IP's.
> Especially if there's a firewall in between.

Well, that partially worked. If I increase that value to a
ridiculously high amount (>10s) the packet loss drops to only about
33% (with 5 pings) rather than the 60% I get with the default
settings. The pattern, however, is the same- only the first x packets
received, where x is a constant in relation to the number of packets
sent. One thing I find a bit confusing- the help text lists the -i
switch as the "MAX packet interval". What determines the min? I would
thing the minimum packet interval would be more of an issue than the
maximum, although perhaps not considering that setting the maximum did
make a difference. Thanks again!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.