[Nagiosplug-help] Redhat Enterprise NRPE Issue

Duncan Berriman duncan at dcl.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 16:17:54 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have successfully installed NRPE on a number of servers, installed some
standard plugins and some of my own except on one system with is running
enterprise rather than some version of Fedora.

The plugins which fail are trying to read and write to the home directory
(/home/nagios) using ~ as the directory specification.

After a reboot the my plugins using ~ fail.

After some investigation it appears that the home directory is set to /
rather than /home/nagios when nrpe is started as a standalone daemon as part
of the system boot.

Restarting nrpe using "service nrpe restart" corrects the problem as the
home directory is then /home/nagios.

For some reason when the same startup command is run as part of the system
startup the home directory is not getting correctly set although nrpe is
running under the nagios user.

Startup (cut from /etc/init.d/nrpe)

NrpeBin=/usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe
NrpeCfg=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
LockFile=/var/lock/subsys/nrpe
$NrpeBin -c $NrpeCfg -d

I'm sure its probably something to do with Enterprise rather than nrpe but
just wondered if anyone had come across this strange situation.

I can fix the problem by hard coding the directory or restarting the service
after a reboot but neither are a real solution. Anyone any idea why the
daemon should end up with the wrong home directory?

Thanks
Duncan

believed to be clean.