[Nagiosplug-help] Antwort: Re: Plugin used to respond to SMS alerts via SMS.

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Tue Aug 5 12:07:48 CEST 2008

* Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com [2008-08-05 10:14]:
> > We use SMSTools[1] for sending and receiving SMS via a GSM modem.
> > SMSTools allows for defining an arbitrary handler[2] for received
> > messages---such as a shell script which pipes an ACK into Nagios'
> > command file.
>
> That sounds quite promising, as this is a way I've considered going
> quite often too. Implementing SMS acks is a todo on my list...
> Though I'm wondering how you did this? My problem always
> was to find a suitable way of having the other admins send their
> acks - not to have them send something like "ACK BROKENHOST35/Current
> Load" which would not really be feasible in my opinion.
> Did you have a better idea then me?

Hmm, one idea might be to let the handler acknowledge the most recent
problem the contact was notified about (if the SMS message doesn't
specify the host/service).  The most recent problem could easily be
found in the status file, but checking the contact configuration might
require a bit more work, of course.

However, I haven't done anything like that so far.  In my opinion, an
"ack http at webserver" isn't _that_ bad, especially if the handler is
somewhat liberal regarding the syntax it expects :-)  For example, you
could allow for simply forwarding the original notification back to the
handler for acknowledgment.

Holger