[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp problems

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Aug 25 19:47:43 CEST 2008

I think I may have mentioned this before, and if so I apologize, but
it remains an issue so I thought I'd try again. I am having a problem
using check_icmp where it consistently shows a number of my hosts (all
of which are on the same hardware) as having 60% packet loss, even
though a straight ping against these hosts returns no packet loss,
even when doing a ping flood (thus implying that the issue is not rate
limiting). More specifically, it would appear that all but the first
two packets are being dropped- if I increase the number of pings to
10, I get 80% loss, if I decrease the number of pings to 4 I only get
50% loss, and if I drop to two pings, I get no loss. Increasing the
delay between packets has no noticeable effect until the delay numbers
get ridiculously high, also indicating that rate limiting is not the
problem here.

FWIW, I was having the same problem with the fping program from
smokeping, and it turned out that this was caused by the fping binary
using the ICMP sequence number to indicate which host the packet was
for, rather than incrementing the sequence number with each packet
sent to a given host. After patching that, fping worked fine. Perhaps
this is the same problem with check_icmp? I seem to recall someone
giving a patch for that a while back, but I could never get the patch
to apply properly, so I don't know if it would have worked. Thanks for
any help/function patches that can be provided!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd