[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp problems

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Aug 26 00:43:38 CEST 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Lee Scott wrote:

> What is the load on the routers?
>
> I have seen something similar with Extreme Networks equipment.
>
> ICMP packets are not routed through the asic of the equipment and
> require
> CPU intervention for handling.  Under high loads on my Extreme gear
> I would
> notice that i would get high ping times and packet loss.  All other
> traffic
> on the equipment worked fine, it was just a design flaw of the
> equipment
> and not really an issue but icmp was being monitored correctly by
> nagios.
>
> Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought, however, as I mentioned I am NOT getting
packet loss from these routers- a standard ping, even when set to ping
flood, returns all packets. Additionally, check_icmp reports ALL
packets, other than the first two, as lost, consistently. I can set it
to however many pings I want, and run it many times in a row, and
every time the first two packets will be returned, and the rest lost.
I can also simultaneously run a ping flood from another terminal, and
get no lost packets to speak of. Additionally, these routers are
generally only feeding a handful of devices, mostly workstations and
no servers, anyway, so they shouldn't be under any significant load.
So no, it's not just that there really is packet loss going on. I do
appreciate the thought and your taking the time to express it,
however. Thanks!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.