[Nagiosplug-help] solaris10 running nrpe under SMF. scripts with backticks = no output

Justin Amburn justinjoseph24 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 22:04:16 CEST 2008

I'm stumped. I have some Solaris 10 servers that I compiled and have
running. CPU, disk space and some other plugins are working, as long as
they don't rely on backticks in the script. If it does, I can't get any
output back to the nagios host.

I was troubleshooting the
check_oracle plugin and eventually tracked it down to being an issue
all scripts that contain backticks.

Even the most simple script
returns no output back to the nagios host(yet it will work of course if
run as user nagios from the ssh console on the Solaris server):
ie.

#! /bin/sh
test=`ps`
echo "$test"
exit

should return (and does while logged on as nagios on the Solaris 10 box):
# ./check_test
   PID TTY         TIME CMD
 24186 pts/2       0:00 ps
 24184 pts/2       0:00 bash
 24183 pts/2       0:00 sh
 24185 pts/2       0:00 check_te

but this doesn't get back to the Nagios host because something between SMF and nrpe is preventing backticks results from being stored into variables.

have tried changing nrpe service so it doesn't inherit the env, and
have tried giving the nagios account extra permissions as a service
account. Still no luck.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before?? The Solaris security model is driving me bonkers. Any help would be much apprecated!

-J