[Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp_xxx-- Return code of 127 - plug-in may be missing

chrisboyd00 at comcast.net chrisboyd00 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 4 22:17:07 CET 2008

I am new to Nagios. I am hoping the answer to my question is a simple one. I have worked hard to try and resolve this but I must ask the community for help.

Specifically I am trying to use the GWFL SNMP HP-Proliant plug-in  to actively monitor the status of the HP Proliant HW such as temperature and network errors. If I run these commands from the command line on the Nagios server they work fine.

Also note that I am running the NSClient++ on this managed host and all of the check_nt commands seem to be working.

>From what I can tell Nagios is attempting to run these check commands on the managed host as an external command. I cannot find how to tell Nagios to run this command on the Nagios server. I receive the same error using other check_snmp_xxx commands as well. OK.. Below are the meat and potatoes but note that these .cfg files have gone through various iterations and may not be in the exact syntax defined by the documentation.

Any and all advice is welcome.
--Thanks, Chris

Nagios 3.0rc1
Red Hat Linux  2.6.18-53.1.4.el5
gwfl-nagios-plugins-2.1

windows.cfg
<snip>
define service{
        use                     generic-service
        host_name               host-001
        service_description     check_snmp_nics
        check_command           check_snmp_nics!-C MyCommStrg
        }

commands.cfg
<snip>
# 'check_snmp_nics' command defination
 define command {
        command_name    check_snmp_nics
        command_line    /$USER1&/check_snmp_nics -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
 }
[root at ONagiosSvr libexec]# ls -la check_snmp_nics -rwxr-xr-x 1 nagios nagios 394147 Jan 31 12:09 check_snmp_nics

nagios.log
[1202149562] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
SCHEDULE_FORCED_SVC_CHECK;host-001;check_snmp_nics;1202149561
[1202149565] Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service 'check_snmp_nics' on host 'host-001' was out of bounds. Make sure the plugin you're trying to run actually exists.