[Nagiosplug-help] Broken check_procs or malusage?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Feb 21 14:22:29 CET 2008

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:

> On the other hand I wonder why the check_proc plugin doesn't call
> the pstat_getproc()
> syscall?
> see
> http://nixdoc.net/man-pages/HP-UX/pstat_getcommandline.2.html
> Admittedly, it is much easier for the nagios-plugins developers
> to parse ps output than
> having to provide different libc calls for every conceivable Unix
> variant.

That depends, I'd say. Using a stable API to get the information means
future versions of the program will most likely never ever break.
check_proc is one of those programs that has gotten broken several times
over the years because the ps output changes slightly, or someone changes
a parsing routine that's used by too many architectures.

> So, do you think I should manually extend PS_VARLIST to cater for
> all 14 entries?

Not really. If you can get check_proc to work with pstat_getproc()
I believe that would be a better way to go. Ofcourse, the plugin devs
may well disagree with me.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se