[Nagiosplug-help] check_xen nagios plugin

Ciro Iriarte cyruspy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 21:17:52 CEST 2008

2008/7/3 Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am using nagios plugin check_xen
> (http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F2272.html;d=1)
> for monitoring domU, My requirement is I am associating two names to domU.
>
> For example vhost-0072-01 and MiniStats,so is there a way i can assosciate
> two names to a domU using check_xen Nagios Plugin.Here MiniStats is a
> functional name
>
> Explained below in detail
>
> For example
>
> I have dom0 as host0072 and on these dom0 I have 2 domU viz vhost-0072-01
> and vhost-0072-02.
>
> In our DNS setup we have something called as Functional names associated
> with this domU.
> say For example
>
>  vhost-0072-01 -> MiniStats
>  vhost-0072-02 -> MiniWeb
>
> so MiniStats is Functional name to vhost-0072-01 and MiniWeb is Functional
> name to vhost-0072-02
>
> Is there a way i can specify both vhost-0072-01 and MiniStats in check_xen
> plugin option, so that its easier for us to recognize that if MiniStats go
> down that means the vhost-0072-01 has gone down
>
> Right now I am using the below command in the nrpe.cfg file in nagios on the
> client side
>
> command[check_vhost1]=/usr/nagios/libexec/check_xen domU MiniStats
>
> So in this case its difficult to remember which domU its associated with if
> MiniStats go down.
>
> So is this possible or do you have any other option, Please let me know
>
> command[check_vhost1]=/usr/nagios/libexec/check_xen domU
> MiniStats(vhost-0072-01)
> The above command wont work I believe so. I have not tried.
>
> Please let me know if you need any additional information from me
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Kaushal

Why just don't add the service "MiniStats" to host host-0072?, that
way you give "domU vhost-0072-01" as parameter to check_xen. The
plugin always prints the domU name in the status info:

"WARNING: $DOMU seems to be dying (Time=$TIME) (MEM=$MEM) (VCPU=$VCPU)
(STATE=$STATE)";
"WARNING: $DOMU seems to be paused (Time=$TIME) (MEM=$MEM)
(VCPU=$VCPU) (STATE=$STATE)";
"CRITICAL: $DOMU seems to be crashed (Time=$TIME) (MEM=$MEM)
(VCPU=$VCPU) (STATE=$STATE)";
"OK: $DOMU seems to be up (Time=$TIME) (MEM=$MEM) (VCPU=$VCPU)

So, if you see that the MiniStats service is critical, you can check
what's the host name on the status info.

Regards,
Ciro