[Nagiosplug-help] check_by_ssh and the pipe

florian.engelmann at bt.com florian.engelmann at bt.com
Wed Jul 23 08:46:20 CEST 2008

Hello,
at the moment we use check_by_ssh to do active checks on our Unix/Linux systems. Some systems use check_nrpe for testing. Since we got many cluster systems were filesystems changes with switching resources we want to use regular expressions for check_disk. For example like this:

command [ FILESYSTEM ] = check_disk -w 10% -c 5% -A -I '^/pkg/fr1nms03/|^/tmp|^/var/run|^/etc/svc/volatile|^/global/'

As you can see we need to exclude different filesystems. But check_by_ssh does not like the "|" charakter. This is the error message:

Remote command execution failed: bash: ^/tmp: No such file or directory

Also using "\" or "\\" or even "\\\" does not help. If I use:

ssh uxxxxxxx "/opt/bt/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 10% -c 5% -A -I '^/pkg/fr1nms03/|^/tmp|^/var/run|^/etc/svc/volatile|^/global/'"

as nagios command it works.

Is there any way to patch the check_by_ssh sources to handle the | as it should?

best regards Florian

Florian Engelmann | UNIX System Administrator | BT Operate

BT (Germany) GmbH & Co. oHG | Barthstraße 22 | 80339 München | www.bt.com/globalservices <blocked::http://www.bt.com/globalservices>
Email: florian.engelmann at bt.com | Tel:+49 (0)89 2600 8173 | Mobile: +49 (0) 176 1073 1081

Sitz und Registergericht der oHG: München, HRA 77639 | Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin der oHG: BT Deutschland GmbH | Sitz und Registergericht: München, HRB 132307 | Geschäftsführung: Jan Geldmacher, Joachim Piroth, Ad van der Meys, Stefan Hischer, Chris Halbard, Judith Sasse | www.bt.com/globalservices <file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\henningn\Application%20Data\Microsoft\Signatures\www.bt.com\globalservices>

This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunications plc, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.